Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Existence of God: Why provide Arguments?

So I want to explain some of the traditional arguments for the existence of God. I'll be doing this through a series of blogs with the title of "The Existence of God." As Christians, we should strive to defend our faith, "always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" (1 Pet. 3:15, NASB).

Now, I just want to put a little disclaimer here. As a Christian, I know that no amount of argumentation can convince an individual of the existence of God. The question of God's existence is left up to the individual and God (whether He exist or not). Although I believe that sufficient evidence (that is an understatement) exists for one to assert God's existence, I do not believe that God's existence can be forced upon anyone. It must be accepted by an individual because God has given us the freewill to accept or deny Him.

The arguments I will cover are:
The Cosmological Argument
The Teleological Argument
The Ontological Argument
The Moral Argument
The Transcendental Argument

No comments: